Memories Inside the Nursing Home

 As Christmas approaches, we should be mindful of those that may be lonely, and maybe that has you thinking about volunteering. Many of us may have visited a nursing home to bring them Christmas bags, or maybe even sing Christmas carols with our kids in church or school. Well, when I was in college, community service was a big part of my school and the expectations they had for their students so I had the opportunity to consistently volunteer in a nursing home over a number of years. I wanted to share my experience inside the nursing home with you.

It just so happened that there was a nursing home right in front of my home that I picked because I didn't have much time being in nursing school and it was close, and I thought that they would definitely have a need for volunteers. I called and was connected with the activities coordinator. She made sure the residents had fun activities to do both at the home and on short trips. I met with her and filled out an application, and it wasn't long before I was cleared to volunteer.

When I first walked in, I really didn't know where to start, and then the residents helped me figure it out. I was able to meet with mostly the elderly, and they would gladly sit and talk with you about all kinds of things. Maybe grandkids, maybe about their past career, some about serving in wars, some about the art they had drawn that was on the wall. I never will forget one sweet lady that sang me a song she had made about the hometown she grew up in. I can't begin to tell you how much I learned about history, and how many contributions these precious people had made to our world. I quickly formed friendships with many of the residents.

Then I met a younger woman. She had both a physical and mental disability. Much of her life had been spent in a care home even though she had family (judgment aside here). She couldn't move much of her body and was wheelchair bound. She was one of the only young people at the home amongst the elderly.  She was very much like a teenager too with her room decor, clutter all over, and her likes and dislikes, and while others may have just seen a handicapped person, I saw a friend.

One day, she shared with me her dream. She wanted to go to college. She had her own computer in her room, and she was determined to go to college online.  She was an inspiration to me because even though her life seemed so limited to me, she wanted to go to college. I helped her in every way I could from filling out paperwork to helping her with a phone orientation after she had gotten accepted.

Not long after we started the college process, this young lady had gotten a serious infection. She was in and out of the hospital while the doctors tried to treat her and maintain her health. When it was time for me to go on my summer family vacation, she had asked me to help her come to clean up her room so she would have a clean room to come home to after she came back from the hospital. I had to decline.

When I came home, I checked facebook, and I found out that my friend had passed away. I don't think I can convey how much that shook me at that moment- I had missed my last opportunity to spend time with this precious lady.

I still think about my friend very frequently, and she reminds me of the value of every creation of the Lord. The joy and determination she had in the face of severe disability is still a blessing and reminder to me. She never got to go to college, but she was determined to live her life to the fullest with what the Lord had given her.

May the Lord remind me to use my health and my strength to serve Him, and fulfill the plans He has for my life. May the Lord remind us all. May the Lord remind us of the value of every life, and how we should be pursuing those in need to minister to them with what the Lord has given us!

If you are thinking about volunteering and ministering to others, I encourage you to give the local nursing home a call. I promise you will leave more encouraged than the residents, and you will find priceless treasures among the sweet souls within.

Comments

Popular Posts